www.COMMACK HISTORY.org
By Robert A. Saal


~ Interviews ~

~ Henry Shea ~
Henry Shea was the caretaker of the Commack Public Cemetery
His mother Mae Shea was the Methodist Church Sunday School teacher

~ Charlie Harned ~

The Harned family dates back to the mid 1600's
Charlie and his brother Amos ran the saw mill for many years

~ Ralph Moreland ~

The Moreland's came over from Ireland in the mid 1800's
Ralph Moreland farmed the family land along Commack Road

~ Ann Goldsmith Lindstadt ~
The Goldsmith family were the last to own the original Comac Hotel
Ann's father Fred Goldsmith built the first gas station in Commack

~ DR. Charles Werle ~
The Werle's came from Canada in 1924 to help run the General Store
DR. Charles Werle founded the Anesthesiology Department at Huntington Hospital

~ Clara Graff ~
The Graff's came from NYC in the early 1900s
Clara's husband Clarence built the Seven Gables Garage

~ Tom Hurd ~
Tom Hurd was the stepson of Carll S. Burr III
He and his daughter were the last to live in the Burr mansion before it was sold

~ Alfred Johnson ~
The Johnson family came from Scandinavia around 1900
Alfred and his many brothers farmed much of Larkfield Road

~ Paul Sauer ~
The Sauer's had a farm on Jericho Turnpike
Paul and his older brother worked as farm hands on the Carll farm
 

This site created and maintained by Robert A. Saal 2013

Long Island History                  Kings Park Psychiatric Hospital History